Lentil Soup with Sweet Potato & Farro
This is hearty and delicious, and comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson.
It should be noted that it’s topped with a salted lemon yogurt that is an out of this world combination with the deep flavors of the soup.
- Splash Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Large Onions, Chopped
- 1 Cup/125g peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp Indian Curry Powder
- 2/3 cup/125g whole or semi-pearled farro
- 1 ¼ cups /255 g green or black lentils, rinced
- 7 cups broth or water
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Head the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and the sweet potato. Add a big pinch of salt, and sautee until the onions soften (a few minutes). Add the curry powder and stir until the vegetables are coated and fragrant.
- Add the farro, lentils, and broth. Bring to a boil, decrease to a simmer, and cook covered for 50 minutes, or until the farro is cooked through. Taste and season with more salt.
- While the soup is cooking, mix the yogurt with a large pinch of sea salt and the lemon zest and juice.
- Serve each bowl topped with the lemon yogurt, and a drizzle of olive oil.