Spaghetti with Pesto
The night before a 20k run, it’s important to binge on pasta. It won’t save you from hating every minute of the run but allegedly it gives you some energy.
Note: I didn’t run the race, but I was in the company o
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (unless you are weak in which case you can add a half clove)
- 4 large handfuls fresh basil leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 handful pine nuts, lightly toasted (in an un-oiled pan)
- 1 good handful high quality parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a blender, or with a hand blender, puree the garlic, salt, basil leaves, and toasted pine nuts. Add half the parmesan and give it another blend while drizzling in the olive oil. Taste, add salt and pepper, and then add the rest of the cheese and stir to combine fully. Add a squeeze of lemon (to taste). I like a lot of lemon.
- Serve on spaghetti with more parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.