Spicy Fennel & Green Bean Soup
This recipe came about because I wound up with a great deal of extra ingredients left around when my recipe plan for the week was thwarted after we accidentally at all of the Beer-Can BBQ Chicken, which I had planned for leftovers.
In any case, I was able to make a broth, and that led us here.
This soup is spicy from the ginger and the cardamom, but light as it’s tomato based.
Perfect for when autumn starts.
- 1 onion, thinly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel head, thinly chopped
- A large handful of green beans
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Put the onion and garlic in a pot with a small amount of oil over medium heat, and cook for a few minutes until the onion begins to brown. Add the fennel and green beans, and cook a bit more.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, along with the salt, pepper, ginger and cardamom. Top with enough broth to just cover the vegetables, and bring to a low simmer. Cook until the green beans are soft.
- Once cooked, stir in the fresh chopped herbs.