Via Giulia Rice Salad
- 1lb Lobster meat, cleaned and chopped
- 2 lb Shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 2 bay leaves, peppercorns, and fennel seed
- 2 Cans tuna fish
- 2 Jars of capers
- 10 Eggs
- ½ Cup frozen peas
- 1 Cup green olives, depitted
- 3 Cups finely chopped celery
- 1 Bunch of each, Parsley and Mint
- 2 Cups white rice
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- Hard boil all of the eggs. When they are cooled, peel them.
- Defrost the shrimp, peel and devein them.
- Wash and chop the parsley and mint.
- Boil them with 2 bay leaves, peppercorns, and fennel seed, and cool.
- Wash and dry the celery, and chop it up.
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil together to make the dressing
- Cook the rice, and spread it on a tray to fluff it up, cool it down, and keep it as dry as possible.
- Mix together the lobster, shrimp, tuna fish, capers, eggs, peas, olives, celery, herbs, and rice.
- Pour half of the dressing on top and toss. Add more if you wish, depending on your preferences. Decorate as festively as possible !
- The key here is to keep everything as dry as possible. You don’t want a goopy salad. When you’ve washed the vegetables, let them dry thoroughly before mixing in the salad.
My great grandfather George Breck was the head of the American Academy of the Arts in Rome between 1905-1909, and we still have a wonderful family living in Italy.
Every time I visit Rome, and every time my family has visited Rome, we are welcomed by the most loving faces, amazing food, and beautiful weather.
There’s no place like Rome.